THE SETTLING IN PERIOD
Whether your child is coming to the nursery for the first time or whether he/she is being transferred from another setting or classroom, being in a new environment is always a significant transition for a child. To ease the process, at the beginning of each term we introduce our children and families to a ‘settling in period’. As every child is unique, this adaptation period can be shorter or longer. Typically though it lasts for about two to three weeks.
During the settling in period, parents will be asked to wait in our Admin Office. If a child needs to go home early, the parent will be called upon by a staff member and asked to meet their child at the Reception Area. For those families wishing to view their child via the CCTV, they may subscribe to this service. This may be arranged through our Accounts Department.
Here are a few basic suggestions on how to help your child during this transition:
- Visit the Nursery with your child before his/her first day.
- Speak of the Nursery in positive ways as a place in which your child will have fun and make new friends.
- Reassure your child that you will come back to pick him/her up.
- Never leave the child without saying goodbye.
- Prior to your child’s first day of school, please establish an early bedtime routine for your child. Ideally, children should be in bed by 8:00pm. Well-rested children tend to concentrate better, feel happier and settle faster.
Parent Orientation Meeting
At the beginning of each term, we conduct a Parent Orientation meeting for our families. This meeting give parents an opportunity to meet his/her child’s classroom teacher(s), ask questions and hear more about the programme that the child will be participating in.